It’s one of those days, you know you don’t have much in the refrigerator and you’re thinking of ways to get out of grocery shopping after work. Well, what if I told you that these sweet potato fritters are not only easy to make but they are made with only TWO ingredients. Yes, you read that right. All you need is a sweet potato and two eggs. A dash of cinnamon, salt and pepper seals the deal and most of us have those as staples in our kitchen.
We hear about sweet potatoes all the time and for good reason. Sweet potatoes are jam packed with vitamin A, ten times more than white potatoes. Sweet potatoes are also considered a low glycemic food. This means that they raise blood glucose levels slowly which is beneficial for those living with type 2 diabetes.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin that is stored in our bodies. It helps keep our skin, eyes, and immune system healthy. Vitamin A is also important for normal growth and development. Food sources of vitamin A come from both animal and plant foods.
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of vitamin A because of their orange colour. This comes from something called beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a type of carotenoid which is converted to vitamin A in the body.
Carotenoids are a phytonutrient (plant nutrient) that are found in brightly coloured (dark green, orange, yellow, and red) vegetables and fruit. These nutrients may be beneficial in helping to reduce the risk of eye disease, heart disease and some cancers.
Now, enough reading about sweet potatoes! It’s time for you to start making these delicious fritters and trying them for yourself.
- 1 sweet potato, grated (~3 cups)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil mayo
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- Squeeze of lime/lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ketchup (optional)
- Add the grated sweet potato and egg in a bowl. Mix well.
- Form small patties with your hand and squeeze out any excess juice from the mixture.
- Place on a pre-heated pan and cook for ~4-5 minutes on each side (you can also bake them).
- For the sauce, mix in all the ingredients and drizzle on top of the fritters when cooled.